LAVCA Mid-Year 2022 Industry Data & Analysis
Private capital activity in Latin America showed signs of resilience amidst rising risks from inflation, increased volatility and global geopolitical turmoil. Capital deployed in Latin America in 1H 2022 reached USD15.9b across 636 transactions, exceeding full-year investment totals from prior to the pandemic.
RENEWABLE ENERGY | Private capital investors have deployed over USD3.2b since 2020 to expand the region’s renewable power capacity beyond traditional hydroelectric assets, with USD1.3b invested in renewable energy in the first half of 2022, including new solar PV projects and wind farms (up from USD616m in full-year 2021).
VENTURE CAPITAL | Despite a slower pace of late-stage transactions, VC is having its second strongest year on record, with USD5.4b deployed across 541 deals in 1H 2022.
- Seed and early-stage investment have remained strong, recording 113% and 48% YTD growth, respectively, when compared to capital invested in 1H 2021.
VENTURE DEBT | Venture debt has continued to grow, reaching nearly USD700m in 1H 2022, compared to USD826m in the entirety of 2021 and USD110m in 2020.
WOMEN-LED STARTUPS | Nearly one third of VC dollars went towards women-led startups in 1H 2022, a new record since LAVCA started tracking this metric in 2019.
LAVCA’s Industry Data & Analysis is available on a quarterly basis as a benefit for LAVCA members. LAVCA’s Mid-Year 2022 Industry Data & Analysis includes additional insights on:
- 636 LAVCA-disclosed and verified private capital transactions across Latin America
- Infrastructure activity including neutral fiber optic networks, telecommunication towers and data centers
- Investments totaling USD1.3b in renewable energy including solar PV projects and wind farms
- 541 LAVCA-disclosed and verified VC transactions across Latin America with analysis of activity by stage and sector
LAVCA members can log in to download the Mid-Year 2022 Industry Data & Analysis Excel file.
Non-members can purchase access to the data.