MassChallenge Mexico awarded MXN$2m in zero-equity cash grants to four startups from their 2017 accelerator program: Urbvan, Iluméxico, Totolines and Econduce.
(Press Release) Mexico City, December 7, 2017 – MassChallenge Mexico, the most startup-friendly accelerator on the planet, tonight announced that Urbvan, Ilúmexico,Econduce, and Totolines were the winning startups of their 2017 acceleration program. The announcement took place during its annual “MassChallenge Awards” event in Mexico City.
The four winning startups were selected by a group of expert judges who based their selection on the potential of each of the startups, as well as the impact they would have on society. In this way, they determined who would be the winners of their two highest categories Diamond and Gold.
“We are so proud to name Urbvan, Ilúmexico, Econduce and Totolines as our winners. They have been engaged to the program and grown into profitable ventures. At MC Mexico we know our startups will create impact in our society and changes lives all over the world” said Camila Lecaros, Managing Director MassChallenge Mexico. “For this second year, the MassChallenge Awards is where we celebrate our community and without their support this couldn`t be possible.”
The MassChallenge Mexico Awards brought together more than 250 corporates, mentors, investors, entrepreneurs and innovation enthusiasts at the Estación Indianilla to celebrate the most-promising solutions and the power of the entrepreneurial community in helping these companies thrive. Keynote speaker, Tim Draper, founding partner of Draper Associates and DFJ and venture capital investor, spoke about the future of entrepreneurship on how the government should bet and pursue more entrepreneurs in Mexico and LATAM. Also, he could not miss talking about the future of virtual currencies.
The MassChallenge Mexico Awards also celebrated the 35 startups that participated in the 2017 accelerator program. Over the course of the 3.5 month program, startups worked with more than 100 mentors on a tailored curriculum, corporate partnerships and industry resources to launch and grow their companies – all at zero cost and for zero equity.
This year’s MassChallenge Mexico prize winners include:
$600K MXN Diamond Winners
- Urbvan: The collective private transport platform that offers the possibility of being transported by comfortable and fully equipped vans (Wi-Fi, closed circuit security cameras, air conditioning) to make the journey a pleasant experience. www.urbvan.com
- Ilúméxico: Social enterprise that promotes social development through rural electrification programs with photovoltaic systems in Mexico.https://ilumexico.mx/
$400K MXN Gold Winners
- Econduce: Electric scooters that seek to help the environment and mobility in the city. www.econduce.mx
- Totolines: which is a unique product, made of corn, grasshopper and chili, ingredients of the highest quality to offer a nutritious snack.
In-Kind Silver Winners
- Dilo En Señas: which is a game to learn Mexican Sign Language (MSL), designed especially for deaf children. www.diloensenas.com
- Swap: Send and receive payments to any person from your contact list, without asking CLABE or account numbers. One contact, your card, Swap, and you’re done. Forget the cash or going to the ATM. http://swapme.mx
- Fáctico: it is a company to promote citizen participation and freedom of expression. It brings together a multidisciplinary team of journalists, technical designers, engineers and internationalists. www.factico.com.mx
- La Huerta Elisa: 100% natural baby meals. Sugar and preservative free that will benefit the health of Mexican children. www.lahuertadeelisa.mx
- Trueke: is a social enterprise that was born with the concern to offer a different way of traveling, in which the traveler can get involved with the community and collaborate with it, thus acquiring new experiences and knowledge about their traditions, culture and processes productive. www truekemx.com
- Leco: Visual health on-demand.