LAVCA, in partnership with Silicon Valley Bank, Omidyar Network, ABVCAP, and Microsoft Ventures held a private half day program on May 7th in São Paulo to facilitate practical, action oriented discussions among leading international and Brazilian venture investors. Facilitated by Andy Tsao, Managing Director of Silicon Valley Bank, and Ariel Muslera, Special Advisor for VC and Entrepreneurship at LAVCA, attendees discussed topics such as value add of a VC manager; portfolio management; and exits and liquidity.
Discussion topics addressed by the participants included:
- What does ‘Smart Money’ mean in Brazil?
- How do VCs compete for deals in Latin America?
- Is the necessary skill set different in LatAm than in the US?
- What are some of the common issues that portfolio companies face?
- Where can managers add value?
- The local co-investment ecosystem
- Sourcing + diligence issues, including if and when to restructure a cap table
Attendees and LAVCA Members can access event materials, including LAVCA’s presentation: Venture Capital in Latin America – Update on Players, Deals, and Exits, here.
This interactive session was the first in a series of LAVCA Venture Investor events. The LAVCA Venture Investors New York Program is scheduled for October 2, 2014. If you are interested in getting involved please contact [email protected].